It’s January….again. You’ve made your New Year’s resolution to lose weight and work out….again. Let’s make 2017 the year you achieve those resolutions. Here are a few tips on how to lose that fat, get fit, and look fabulous by June in your swimsuits.
- Make a Game Plan – take out a calendar and plan a day to do your weekly grocery shopping. Don’t go to the grocery store hungry: you’ll be reaching for the quickest junk and not for nutritious and healthy food. Think ‘European’….fabulous gourmet meals can be made from all fresh low fat ingredients and when well prepared, can rival any five star restaurant (that’s what we do in Europe). Plan your meals for the week – breakfast, lunch and dinner – and make a list. Choose a day where you have about 2 hours to prep and cook your meals for the week. Soups are STARS for weight loss. A bowl of soup can be eaten as a meal or a low fat snack. They’re filling and nutritious. Purchase a nice lunchbox that can hold a few small Tupperware vessels and bring a great lunch to work daily. This will save you a lot of money and keep you on track with your weight loss plan. For example, roasted asparagus, peppers, mushrooms, and tomatoes under a beautiful piece of roasted chicken breast or salmon makes an amazing lunch. Toss in a few clementines into the lunchbox and you’re set for the day!
- Set Realistic Activity Goals – If you haven’t exercised for a while, be realistic. Now is the time to join a gym (they all offer discounts AFTER the first of January) and with the money you’ve saved on the initiation fee, invest in a few personal training sessions. Most gyms offer a free physical assessment with membership – do it! Once you have an idea of your abilities, hire a trainer once weekly to keep you on track and you’ll be surprised with your progress over a month or two. Join in on various classes and mix it up. Variety is the spice of life and varying your exercise routine staves off boredom and before you know it, you’ll make gym buddies and you’ll look forward to working out with your new friends.
- Learn How To Say ‘No’ – believe it or not, many people will WANT you to fail! Misery loves company, so if the company you’re keeping tells you that you don’t need to go to the gym, lose those extra 30lbs, or the piece of cake isn’t going to break the bank….find a new crowd to socialize with. Stick with your convictions. Dig in deep and remember what it is you want to achieve. Remember, this isn’t a temporary fix…this is a lifestyle change. If you want to stay fat, keep hanging out with the fat people. They want you to be fat just like them. If you want to be healthy and fabulously fit, start socializing with those people. They have their cocktails, dinners and good times, but they don’t make that their priorities. They’d rather go skiing, water skiing, cycling, hiking, golfing, fishing….you name it. You can’t be obese and partake fully in any of these activities. After a month or so of staying in the game, you’re going to see someone from your ‘fat group’ whose going to ask you ‘what are you eating for breakfast, ’cause you look great!’ Inspire by example.
- Track Your Meals And Activities – There are many free apps online. One I particularly like is myfitnesspal. Tracking your food intake and activities gives you a clear picture of what is really going on over the course of time. If accountability is your issue, I highly recommend joining Weight Watchers and go to their weekly meetings where you can talk about any issues in a safe, respectful and discreet atmosphere. Lectures are insightful, inspirational and uplifting.
- Make The Plate Look Pretty – Don’t just plop the food on your plate. Arrange what you’ve worked hard to shop, prepare and cook on your plate as if you work for a 5 star restaurant. A fine presentation on a plate will give you a sense of appreciation for your hard work and you will most like eat slower and enjoy your meal immensely.
- It’s Not All About The Scale – How your clothes fit and how you look and feel surpass what the numbers on the scale can tell you. Visiting your md and realizing lower LDL levels, lower blood glucose and blood pressure levels are stellar goals to achieve and will keep you motivated to stay in the game.
- STAY IN THE GAME! – Don’t quit! Be forgiving of setbacks – they happen; it’s life. Last but not least, weekly acupuncture sessions can help you on your path to becoming fit, fabulous and swimsuit ready this June.
I wish each and every one of you a happy, healthy and fabulous 2017!